Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you had a great weekend celebrating Cinco de Mayo! I sure did… a little too much fun that I sorely paid for at the Divas Half Marathon yesterday. (recap coming tomorrow) but, that’s okay- it’s Monday and I’m starting fresh and meat-free.
The weather is GORGEOUS in the Bay Area right now, beautiful but pretty warm by 9am leaving my motivation to cook very low. So, after my grocery shopping this morning, I stopped by my local Noah’s Bagels to pick up a quick breakfast- they have a new line of Bagel Thin Eggwhite Sandwiches (under 350 calories and 15g of fat). I opted for a asparagus, mushroom and swiss sandwich on a honey whole wheat bagel and paired it with a side a fruit- a perfect way to start the day!
And for lunch, I made a super simple salad with tons of farmer’s market veggies. As soon as I chopped everything up and threw it in a bowl, I realized I forgot something at the store: salad dressing. D’oh. So a couple splashes of balsamic vinegar and about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil all mixed up and lunch is served! (Usually I buy the Trader Joe’s fat free balsamic dressing which is basically the same thing so having to actually put a little effort into making lunch today was a bummer but I’ll get over it eventually.)
For today’s snack, in my supreme laziness today, I tried 2 new things from Trader Joe’s: strawberry kefir and tomato and olive foccacia bread, both very tasty!
And for dinner, I am adapting a veggie burrito recipe I found in Cooking Light magazine. With my immense amount of laziness today and just a few slight adjustments, this recipe now takes half the time and is just as delicious and filling- please report back if you try it!
Laura’s Veggie Burritos (adapted from Cooking Light)
1 package instant brown rice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño pepper (seeded if you don’t like spice)
1/4 cup light sour cream
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 ear of corn)
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 3/4 cup)
3/4 cup halved grape tomatoes
4 (7- to 8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
Cilantro leaves (optional)
Avocado (optional as I just realized I forgot to get avocado at the store too. Frick.)
1. Prepare rice according to directions, fluff with a fork; stir in jalapeño.
2. While rice is cooking, combine sour cream, chopped cilantro, juice, and red pepper in a small bowl.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 1/2 teaspoon garlic and mushrooms; sauté 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add corn and zucchini; sauté 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes; sauté 30 seconds or until tomatoes are thoroughly heated. Remove from heat.
4. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Spread sour cream mixture evenly among tortillas, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup rice mixture and about 1/2 cup vegetable mixture. Roll up each, jelly-roll fashion. Garnish with cilantro leaves and avocado, if desired and if you remembered (unlike me) to pick it up from the store. Usually, I’ll serve this with slices of watermelon, yum.
5. For Hubby and I, I will make all of this recipe once for 2 nights, preparing just half of the sour cream mixture, 2 tortillas, but all the veggie mixture, storing the leftovers for the next night.
What do you eat when you’re feeling lazy but still trying to eat healthily? Please send your super easy favorites my way! And there’s just 3 more days to enter my Happy Feet Giveaway! Check it out, spread the link love, and comment to win!
- Meatless Monday All Week Long (running4thereason.wordpress.com)